cpio/afio writing directories?

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.zone1.com
Sun Jun 5 13:23:40 AEST 1988

In article <5739 at chinet.UUCP> les at chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
[ much stuff deleted discussing how to use cpio]
>Be sure you know what you are doing if you use (or don't use) absolute
>pathnames for the starting directories.  If you start with a /, then
>the restore operation will only be able to put the files back into their
>original absolute positions.  If you cd to the starting point and find ".",
>or one above and find "dirnname", then the files will restore relative
>to your current directory.

On my 3B1, which up until now I had assumed was using the standard SV utilities,
the cpio program has an upper-case R option which is described as follows:

"Allow file and directories with absolute path names to be redirected on input
to the current directory by removing the leading / from the path name."

Does this option exist in other version of cpio and people just dont know about
it or is the 3B1 unique in this regard?
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave