Nutshell handbooks

Peter J. Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Thu Mar 31 07:36:06 AEST 1988

In article <1144 at ora.UUCP> tim at ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
|I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a couple of
|articles that have recently appeared on the net.
|
|In article <511 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
|> Last night, at our local Unix users group meeting, a fellow showed me a
|> four page printout of errors and omissions from this nutshell book, that
|> were to be sent to ORA fro use in the 2nd addition of this book.
|>
|We haven't received this "four page printout"...but I do
|wonder what edition of the book they were based on.  There
|have been several...we're up to the fourth edition, with a
|fifth about to come out.  This latest edition has been
|reviewed in detail by the developers of UUCP for 4.3BSD, and
|while they did find some errors, most of them were related to machine
|dependencies in the version of UUCP we used as our primary
|test bed.
|
|There is an awful lot of variation between different
|versions of uucp, and it is easy to call things
|"errors" that are really just differences from version to
|version.  The latest edition (available in a couple of
|weeks) expands the treatment of different versions of UUCP,
|and points out more of the version-dependent areas.
|
|Nonetheless, we will look forward to receiving any and all
|error reports, since we update our books
|frequently--whenever we receive any new information that we
|think would be helpful to our readers.

I said he showed it to me, but I meant that he showed me that he had it!
 He wouldn't show me the contents OR make a copy for me.  So I can't
answer your (very reasonable) question.

I used the Fourth Edition in setting up and still had many questions.  I
don't know about actual errors, but it needs a much better index, as
well as a discussion of HDB grading.  I'd be happy to trade my marked up
copy for a copy of the newest edition.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334