How can I read a cpio archive with absolute pathnames?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Fri Mar 18 14:10:38 AEST 1988

Hi folks,

     Customers are always dumping cpio archives to floppy with

	find / -print | cpio ...

and it drives us crazy when we need to restore something and they
have used full pathnames.  Are there methods short of either the
interactive rename mechanism or making a silly chroot environment
for it?  Wouldn't it be really helpful if cpio had an option that
could edit the start of the path to (say) prepend "." or strip off
parts?

     Steve

--
Steve Friedl, KA8CMY     ARPA/UUNET/CSNet: friedl at vsi.com       *Hi Mom*
{kentvax, uunet, attmail, {ucbvax, ihnp4, sun}!amdcad!uport}}!vsi!friedl