unix databases

Bruce_Rioux%ewd.ceo.dg.com at relay.cs.net Bruce_Rioux%ewd.ceo.dg.com at relay.cs.net
Thu Mar 24 03:03:47 AEST 1988

From: Bruce Rioux
Subject: Re: unix databases

In article <229 at dcscg1.UUCP> cpp90221 at dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) writes:
#
#I am a new user on the unix system, but I am very familiar with MS-DOS.
#I have had much experience on DBASEIII in DOS and I like the flexability
#that the DBASEIII script file give me in creating database systems.
#
#My question is this:  Does a database package exist for the unix system that
#                      has a script programing language similar to DBASEIII's?
#
#I have developed some very complicated applications in DBASEIII, but I am
#running into space and speed problems with DOS.  I would like to find a
#database program that could be run on a unix mini system that could be
#programed similar to DBASEIII.

According to an article entitled "Now workstations run software written for
PCs" found on page 21 of the March 17, 1988 issue of 'Electronic Design',
you can run DBASEIII on Sun 68020-based UNIX workstations:

        "... With XDOS, developed by Hunter Systems, of Palo Alto, Calif.,
PC-hosted programs run on a 68020-based Sun-3/160 workstation....  A lineup of
popular programs already runs on the Sun, thanks to XDOS - Lotus 1-2-3,
Ashton-Tate's dBase III, Microsoft's Wordstar....  With XDOS, the executable
code of programs written for PC's can be recompiled and, as a result, be
transferred to 68020-based systems...."

I have never used XDOS, so I cannot tell you more than what is in the article.
I suggest you contact Hunter Systems for more information.