UNIX or Unix

eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Thu Mar 31 11:09:13 AEST 1988

In article <7763 at alice.UUCP>, dmr at alice.UUCP writes:

some stuff about trademarks, etc.

> If you are offering a U product, you had better be sure that your
> usage of the term (particularly in advertising and other sales
> literature) complies with AT&T's requirements, because
> you are using it with their permission.  If you are writing
> ordinary English discourse, you may treat requests from AT&T as
> indications of AT&T's preference, and decide for yourself
> which form you prefer, and whether AT&T's opinion of your
> English matters to you.  (If you are an AT&T employee, it
> might well matter.)

 -- A quick comment --

If you are writing an article for publication, or are doing anything
other than making your own notes (I think educational purposes may
get counted with publication) you should use "UNIX".  It's just like
using "Xerox", "Coke" or "PS/2" ( 1/2 :-) ).  Like you said... It's
their trademark, they get to say how it works.  I'm not sure if
educational purposes/publications are exempt from following trademark
laws/rules.

Anybody ever notice the number of ads taken out by big corps in press/media
related magazines that state: `"Foo" is a trademark of Foo, Inc.  Don't say
"Foo", say "bah" -- the common noun`?

"UNIX", "Xerox", "Coke" and "PS/2" are all trademarked by big, uncaring,
ignorant, repressive and generally bozonic corporations. :-)

--
... They'll take the place apart -- Any minute now -- I've seen it happen
before on Mercury where we put out a Cool Issue  -- And the law is moving in