Sun TAR

Richard Harter g-rh at cca.CCA.COM
Fri Mar 11 15:42:08 AEST 1988

In article <327 at earth.atexrd.UUCP> mikeh at atexrd.UUCP (Mike Harris) writes:
>Forgive me if this question has already been posed to the group, but can
>anyone tell me how to extract from a tape, written by a MASSCOMP, from a
>SUN??  I had have no trouble whatsoever reading and writing tapes between
>Masscomp and Intel machines, but am unable to read the tape on a SUN.
>Any Ideas?

Me thinks you are talking about 1/4 inch cartridge tapes rather than 1/2
inch 9 track tapes.  1/2 inch 9 track TAR tapes all use the same format
(excepting for delightful little bits like word order and BSD/Sys V block
size differences).  They go all over the place.  Cartridges are a different
matter -- there are several different formats in use in the industry and
SUN follows their own drummer.  Someone have conversion software -- our
experience is that life is a lot simpler if you stick to 9-track tape for
inter machine transport.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.