4bsd .login and .cshrc

Mike Clarkson mike at ists
Tue Mar 29 12:23:59 AEST 1988

In article <3126 at csli.STANFORD.EDU>, gandalf at csli.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) writes:
| In article <27 at denali.UUCP| crkarish at stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
| >Csh behaves differently on some SysV systems.  AIX doesn't source
| >.cshrc on an su.
|
| Yes, HPUX doesn't read cshrc, either. Or, I should say - it reads your
| .cshrc, and doesn't care about the new user's .cshrc. It even takes
| HOME and the other environment variables just from the parent process,
| so simple "cd" brings you back into *YOUR* home directory, not into
| the directory of the user to su'ed to.

Same with most SysV's.  But and interesting bsd feature (?) is that it
will only source the .login if the user logging in owns that file.  For
example, if I'm logging in as mike, and ~mike/.login is owned by root,
the ~mike/.login will not be executed.

--
Mike Clarkson						mike at ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science