Unix Interrupts

Tim Beres beres at cadnetix.COM
Fri Mar 25 07:35:24 AEST 1988

In article <991 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:

>At McGill here we built a fairly extensive system for robot control
>that required "real-time" response.  We got it through the use of some
>horrible kludges and by throwing security completely out the window.  I
>can provide details if anyone is really interested; the system is a
>MicroVAX-II running what started out as 4.3BSD.  (I say "started out
>as" because we have had to do a good deal of hacking on it.)

I've spent much time using RMX and VersaDos, both real-time OS's.  What
I want to know is why ya'll hacked up Unix.  Why not just get RMX on an
SBC, connect via ethernet to a UNIX system, and run with that?  Cost
is one concern no doubt.  Plus the academic thrill of hacking UNIX.

I've always thought marrying two systems, each of which is excellent
(no flames, please) at what it does, would work nicely.  Is anyone *out
there* doing this type of thing?
--
Tim Beres  Cadnetix             303/444-8075 x221
           5775 Flatirons Pkwy  {uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!beres
           Boulder, CO 80301    beres at cadnetix.com
<disclaimers: my thoughts != Cadnetix's>