RFS vs. NFS

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sat Mar 26 09:31:58 AEST 1988

gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> >If an NFS server reboots, the clients just waits and then continue on.
>
> Typically an attempt to access a file on a down link causes the process
> to BLOCK at UNINTERRUPTIBLE priority!

	You must be using an oldish version of NFS; I think this is the way
it worked in SunOS-3.0, with 3.2 and later, you have the option of soft
mounting a file system, which lets NFS operations time out.  Since this is
bad for r/w file system and overloaded-but-not-dead-yet servers, you can
also mount file systems hard, but with the "intr" option which never times
out on its own, but does allow the process to be killed (I guess it sleeps
with a low, but non-negative priority)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016