News Interface . Help with rn

Alexander Dupuy dupuy at douglass.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 30 08:33:16 AEST 1988

In article <501 at zehntel.UUCP> edw at pinot (Ed Wright) writes:

>I have not been able to cause rn to duplicate my favorite
>which was
>
>readnews -pn news.group > filename &
>
>anybody know a way to make rn "take a dump in the file of
>my choice" kind of like readnews used to do ??

You should be able to do this using the KILL file capability of rn.  Without
going into details, I would suggest you read the section on kill files in the
voluminous rn man page, and then create a KILL file which saves articles into a
file.  It might look something like this:

KILL file for newsgroup comp.foo:

	THRU 3339
	/^/:s some.file

shell command: