UUCP Grades in HDB UUCP

Romain Kang romain at pyrnj.uucp
Wed Mar 23 13:31:58 AEST 1988

In article <495 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
| Is there a way to set up UUCP with grading so that a news feed must call
| me to get news, but I can still send him mail?  Thx.

In this case, you want to queue news at a lower grade than mail.
(People seem to get mixed up about "higher" or "lower" grades.
Consider letters with higher ASCII values to be of lower grades,
just as 'F' is a lower report card grade than 'A'...)

The default uux grade in my copy of HDB is 'N', hence your outgoing
mail is probably queued at grade 'N', unless your mailer specifies
otherwise.  A simple experiment will tell what it really is, but I
will assume 'N' at the moment.  And of course, unless you have a late
version of HDB, this won't work at all.  (Mine doesn't honor grade
sensitive transfers, and it's got SCCS ids of 2.??.)

The conventional grade for news transfers is 'd' (see localize.4.3 in
your 2.11 source directory) so you would add the argument "-gd" to
uux in LIBDIR/sendbatch.  And remember to fix UUXFLAGS in localize.sh
so that the change sticks the next time you patch your news source.
With these changes, you can make the downstream site's Systems entry
something like:
	downstream Any/Z ACU 2400 ...

Your mail queued at grade 'N' will then go any time (as well as
anything else queued at grades [0-9A-Z]), while news will sit until
downstream calls.  You may also want to limit the amount of news
queued for downstream, especially if they're a PC that calls only when
the owner remembers to force a poll (arrggghhhh!!!!!)