inheriting processes from other ttys

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 12:51:04 AEST 1988

In article <1707 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, rjchen at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Raymond Juimong Chen) writes:
> Say my terminal freezes while running a program.  So I log on
> somewhere else.  Question:  Can I get the process transferred from
> the frozen terminal to my new (good) one?
[and in your signature I find the appropriate line]
> "Say something, please!  ('Yes' would be best.)" - The Doctor

Gee, I don't know.  What sort of system are you using?

On a BSD system, I can say fairly confidently "no".  This could be
hacked in, but it would require either kernel support which isn't there
in stock systems or a strange sort of terminal session multiplexor,
something like what someone was posting about `screen'.

> That is, if the process were an editor, I should be able to resume my
> editor session on the new terminal with no ill effects.

Let's just hope the terminal type is the same as on the old terminal!

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu