images in Postscript

Brian Colfer brianc at daedalus
Tue Mar 29 02:55:15 AEST 1988

In article <1157 at pembina.UUCP> franco at alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci) writes:

> Here's my Problem:
>
>     The troff facility at our installation can generate
>     Pstscript code. I have raster image which I would
>     like to include in my text. Is there   pre-processor
>     somewhere out there that will allow my to include
>     my image. I have a program which can convert the
>     raster to Postscript code but I have no idea how to
>     merge this code with the one produce by troff. Any
>     help would be appreciated.

Franco, there are several products which will do the job you specified.

The one I use is postsc.  It does a very nice job of converting dvi to
postscript.  There are several easy commands to include bitmaped
images, postscript programs, or perform basic operations like
rotation, and changing ink levels.

Devps does an excellent job also but I have very limted experience
with it.

There is a preprocessor out of U. of Penn. called psfig.  Psfig works
with transcript which comes from Adobe.

Eroff is another popular postprocessor (like postsc and devps) I have
almost no experience with it so I don't know if it will do your job.

If you want info on these products devps, eroff and Adobe are usually
advertised in trade journals (UNIX/World, UNIX Review).  I can
send you more info on Postsc (address, man page, phone number).  If
you want ... just drop me a line.

BPC

             : UC San Francisco       : brianc at daedalus.ucsf.edu
Brian Colfer : Dept. of Lab. Medicine : ...!ucbvax!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
             :  PH. 415-476-2325      : brianc at ucsfcca.bitnet