UNIX or Unix?

Dave Turner dmt at ptsfa.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 02:46:23 AEST 1988

In article <2614 at auscso.UUCP> jboede at auscso.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
>While it may seem fairly trivial, this is a serious question.  I do a good deal
>of writing about and (a little) justifying of UNIX and it's surfaced in my
>attention that there really doesn't seem to be an official way of capitalizing
>it.  Even AT&T is a little schizo about it.

Several years ago AT&T sent me a letter that contained the following:

The name UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories and must be protected as such.
The rules for protecting trademarks are summarized as follows:

1.  Whenever you write any document refering to UNIX*
    (or to any other computer program or service that has "UNIX" in
    its name), footnote its first occurence in the text (not in the title)
    precisely as is shown here.
2.  Do not use "UNIX" (or any name containing "UNIX") to refer
    to anything other than such a computer program or service.
3.  Do use "UNIX" as an adjective or modifier.
4.  Make sure you always use full caps for "UNIX" (no more "Unix"!).

* UNIX is a Trademark of Bell Laboratories.
--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt