UNIX or Unix

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Thu Mar 24 17:27:06 AEST 1988

In article <7763 at alice.UUCP>, Dennis Ritchie writes:
< The Chicago Style manual advocates spelling trademarks with an
< initial cap.  Common usage prefers not to spell words, except
< acronyms or other abbreviations, in all caps.  The U word is
< a trademark and it is not an acronym.
<
< Ownership of a trademark permits the owner to keep others from
< using that mark in trade.  It doesn't generally give the owner legal
< rights over permissible English usage.

I recall reading that the U.S. Trademark Office doesn't consider
case when registering a trademark, and I think this came up with
regard to Ashton-Tate's "dBase" trademark.

Disclaimer: friedl at vsi.com != attorney

--
Steve Friedl      V-Systems, Inc.        *Hi Mom*
friedl at vsi.com   {uunet,attmail,ihnp4}!vsi!friedl