wanted: Sun 386 Workstation (Road Runner) info

Craig Jackson dricej at drilex.UUCP
Tue May 17 22:17:55 AEST 1988

Who will buy a Roadrunner?  I see it as having several advantages from
our perspective.

1.  It is a 386 box with a Berkeley-based Unix.  The parts of Berkeley that
are important to me are the long file names, symbolic links, the integrated
networking, and some of the useful utilities.  The fact that Sun has added
in much of System V is an added benefit (improved libraries, improved /bin/sh).

2.  It is a Sun.  That means Suntools & the big screen (assuming you buy it).
You may argue about windowing systems; the fact is that Suntools is useful
to me today.

3.  Since it is a 386 box, you can have virtual DOS machines.  It appears that
Sun has done this reasonably well.  I have no idea whether others have done
it as well.

4.  Since it is a 386 box, a few more of our customers may buy them.  Since
our applications aren't important enough typically to justify an entire box,
this is an important consideration.
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard!axiom,linus!axiom,ll-xn}!drilex!dricej