Timeout in SVR3

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed May 4 05:51:42 AEST 1988

In article <2586 at mibte.UUCP> twh at mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) writes:
| Is there a facility for "timing out" a user process when there is no activity ?
|
| Is there a SHELL Variable that can be set to cause logging off of a user
| if they are not using their terminal ?

There is such a feature in Korn shell, called TMOUT. At one point in the
evolution of ksh (at least the versions I use) this went from minutes to
seconds. Big fun.

There are a number of idle daemons which will go around and do it for
you, using various levels of smarts. I never felt the need, but I've
seen them go by on the net.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)