Splinter Unix?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu May 19 06:33:21 AEST 1988

a) creation of a 4th standard (3rd if they follow posix) shows that
   someone values the stockholders over the users.

b) If they wanted open they could have inputs on real UNIX, as far as I
   can tell. AT&T reportedly offered, and I believe that Motorola and
   someone else took them up on it.

c) when tradeoffs are to be made, are the companies with the biggest $
   going to have the loudest voices?

d) with AT&T trying to merge Xenix and BSD features, and promising to
   conform to posix, and offering source, etc, why is their standard any
   more open than UNIX? Sun has given and/or licensed a lot of their code
   to AT&T and will then license it back like anyone else (so my Sun dealer
   tells me).

e) now that Olsen has died at AT&T, why don't the users form a public
   corporation and buy the UNIX rights from AT&T. Since the profit would
   come from wide acceptance I would expect more concern with the
   portability of the prodect from a company with no hardware to sell than
   from hardware vendors who all want an edge. I respect greed as a motive
   for portability, when someone claims to be acting for the good of the
   user I suspect their motives.

f) In my opinion they're trying to kill UNIX with similar but
   proprietary clones. Like killing flys by releasing sterile males.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)