A csh question ...

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Tue May 31 23:28:27 AEST 1988

And in article <3872 at fluke.COM>, strong at tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) replies:
> Why not put the contents of your .login file in your .cshrc file?

The reason that I believe it is done is to allow such things as

unset ignoreeof		# in ~/.cshrc

and then

set ignoreeof		# in ~/.login

Now this means that in all your c-shells except your login shell will respect
a ^D to exit, but you explicitly have to say "logout" or "exit" to your
login shell to get it to go away i.e. hammering ^D will return you to your
login shell but will stop there. The basic notion is that you set your
environment with .cshrc, and thene make any login shell changes (and of course
login only commands) in your .login. Now if anyone knows different they will
doubtless speak up :-) :-)
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+