Splinter Unix?

Larry W. Virden lwv at n8emr.UUCP
Wed May 18 03:00:07 AEST 1988

Sigh!  For those of you who are as behind as I typically am, let me clue you
in on a couple interesting articles which were passed on to me by a friend
here at work (Hi Tom!).

Digital News, May 16, 1988 Front page:

DEC and IBM Ponder Alternate to AT&T Unix.  Olsen says counter to Unix is
possible.

Infoworld, I dont have the date but would guess this or last week - front page:

Alliance to Push AIX-Based Unix.

	IBM, DEC, Apollo, and Hewlett-Packard are set to announce the formation of a
	consortium called the Open Software Foundation to develop an alternate
	Unix standard build around IBM's AIX operating system, according to
	sources close to the companies involved.

	The consortium will be formally announced on Tuesday...

The articles go on to describe this secret alliance coming out of the Hamilton
Groups complaints against Sun and AT&T.

What do you folks think of this "grand" idea of the creation of a third standard
(previously System V and BSD could be considered standards in my estimation)?
What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
code?

Comments, flames, etc?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817