grep replacement

Lloyd Zusman ljz at fxgrp.UUCP
Thu May 26 07:44:32 AEST 1988

In article <5630 at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> papowell at attila.UUCP (Patrick Powell) writes:
  In article <7882 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:

  >	Al Aho and I are designing a replacement for grep, egrep and fgrep.
  >The question is what flags should it support and what kind of patterns
  >should it handle? ...

  The other facility is to find multiple line patterns, as in:
  find the pair of lines that have pattern1 in the first line
  pattern2 in the second, etc.

  This I have needed sooo many times;  I have ended up using AWK
  and a clumsy set of searches.

  For example:
  \#{1 p}Pattern
  \#{2}Pattern
  This could print out lines that match,  or only the first line
  (1p->print this one only).

Or another way to get this functionality would be for this new greplike
thing to allow matches on the newline character.  For example:

    ^.*foo\nbar.*$
          ^^
    	newline

--
  Lloyd Zusman                          UUCP:   ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz
  Master Byte Software              Internet:   ljz%fx.com at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Los Gatos, California               or try:   fxgrp!ljz at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  "We take things well in hand."