multitasking on the unix pc

Tom Baas tom at lakesys.UUCP
Fri May 27 13:19:17 AEST 1988

On the unix pc, using the windows you can 'resume' various kinds and various
numbers of operations.  Ok Neat.  My question is how can one do this
without using the windows? I know for example that: ls -l>file& will
perform a list into file 'file' in a background mode.  But, how can
you get several tasks running to wait till you come back to them - such
as with the 'resume' or 'suspend' button on the att unix pc?

Or.. another question on the same subject... How do the windows actually
allow this.

I would be interested in knowing the answer to the above and appreciate
anyones help on this matter.

Thanks in advance.    :-)

                                Tom