perl compilation problems on a fortune 32:16

Bakul Shah bvs at light.uucp
Sun May 29 07:19:37 AEST 1988

Michael Greim writes:
>In article ... Bakul Shah (me) writes
>concerning problems when compiling perl :
>
>>BTW, if ``printf("%.20g", 5.0);'' gives you 5.0000000000000000 instead
>>of just 5, you may need to patch ecvt.o.  ...
>
>I installed perl (patchlevel 14) on our machines and had a similar problem
>on a SIEMENS PC-MX2 running SINIX v2.0 (derived from Sys3 and/or GENIX).

[a description of a work around deleted]

I claim that the problem is with the runtime library in both cases.
While a quick fix gets the job done, I hope you would complain to
Siemens about this bug.  In general it is not a good idea to mess with
other people's (useful) sources and besides, you can't go on fixing
legit. C programs because *your* library can't handle them.

Meanwhile, I am interested in a public domain printf & friends.

-- Bakul Shah <..!{ucbvax,sun}!amdcad!light!bvs>