Splinter Unix?

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Fri May 20 11:06:29 AEST 1988

   From: "Rich Strebendt, AT&T-DSG @ Indian Hill West" <res at ihlpe.att.com>

   Then UNIX made its appearance in a couple of dialects.  Few machines
   supported it, and little commercial software was available for it.  It
   was essentially an academic playtoy.  AT&T promoted it, and a number of
   software houses developed products for it, so it gradually became a
   viable product in the commercial marketplace.  Also, many of the
   academics who enjoyed playing with UNIX in school became employed
   programmers who wanted to buy UNIX systems to do real work with.
   Finally, AT&T and Sun got together to merge the two main dialects of
   UNIX into a single product.  Now there is a threat of a third real
   alternative to the DEC and IBM proprietary systems -- a commercially
   supported UNIX which can be run on many different vendors hardware.
   This is what DEC and IBM would like to destroy.

You left out what *really* made UNIX popular: Berkeley.
But then, you *did* say you were biased :-)

As for OSF, they should give their money and machines to the FSF.

				   Rich Strebendt
				   ...!ihnp4![iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?