unix on the ibm pc?

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Mon May 16 02:36:56 AEST 1988

In article <1321MLWLG at CUNYVM> MLWLG at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
>for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.
>
>Information about unix and the ibm pc would be appreciated. In
>particular;
>
> 1 Does such a system exist?

Yes, SCO markets Xenix 86 which runs on 8088 based PCs.  This is a very
complete Unix implementation, and SCO is to be commended for it's valiant
effort to provide Unix to PC users.  I believe there
are also other Unix based OSs (Vnix, Qnix, ..., ?) that run on PCs.

> 2 Is there a public domain version?

Not to my knowledge (IXNU, GNU, ?).  You may be thinking of UUPC which is a PC
based implementaion of the UUCP networking system.

> 3 Who are the software vendors?

You can reach The Santa Cruz Operation at (408) 425-7222.  Prices
start around $600 I believe.

UUPC is in the public domain.  As such, it is available from many
public access BBSs and archive sites.

> Thank You.....

Although it is possible to run a Unix-like OS on 8088 based hardware,
its performance is so slow, that is difficult to do anything useful
with it.  If your time means anything to you, consider investing in
upgraded hardware before throwing good money at software that will
rapidly lead you to a stress induced neurosis.

It would have assisted me in repling if you had stated the perpose for
which you intend use Unix on a PC.

Larry Dighera

Disclaimer: These are my opinions.  Others have made a living by selling
	    8088 based Unix applications to small businesses.

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)