bad filenames

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu May 19 22:23:18 AEST 1988

In article <10894 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Since I posted the original question (and have lots of comments but no
>answers) I will note that someone with root access was trying to open
>the dir file and treat it as a database, building an index file by <lots
>of things>. They blewitt.

It is not supposed to be possible for even UID 0 to write on a directory,
EXCEPT via access to the "raw device".  If the apparent '/' has the high
bit set, then you already received an answer.  If not, then you'll have
to ALSO access the "raw device" -- basically you need to "zap" the entry
using fsdb or equivalent, then get fsck to fix up the filesystem.