Splinter Unix?

Stan Brown stan at sdba.UUCP
Thu May 26 00:02:52 AEST 1988

> Please don't forget that DEC was eliminated from an ongoing Air Force bid of
> some $970mil (If I recall correctly).  Being barred from almost a Billion
> dollars worth of business is sure going to make the likes of IBM, DEC and HP
> take notice.
> 	Larry
> 	ihnp4!tapa!larry
	Lets see if we can egt our facts straight here.  As I recall
	DEC protested the Air Force contract you are talking about
	because it specifiec SVID.  At the time DEC (I believe) a
	SVID compliant OS that they were selling to other markets,
	but wanted to make the point that the Govenmrnt (which can't
	specicfy vendor specific details) couldn't (in DEC's opinion)
	specify SYSVID as it was vendor specific.  The result of the
	decsion was that SVID was NOT vendor specific but an industry
	standard.  DEC was NOT bared from biding as long as they met
	the spec.  Instead they took their marbles home & decided they
	didn't want to play if the couldn't set the rules.  This
	situation should change when POSIX becomes a real standard as
	the government has expresed an intent to use it as theilr
	standard spec instead of SVID.

	If I have ny of this wrong please feel free to correct me.

	stan

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan