perl compilation problems

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue May 17 23:31:53 AEST 1988

In article <240 at sdba.UUCP> stan at sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) writes:
>... the machine that I am working on is a Fortune 32:16
>(a 68000) box.  The error that I am geting occcurs during the compliation
>of perl.c and is something like:
>	... compiler error: no table entry for SASG

Ah yes, everybody's favourite internal PCC error (the fun one is always
`for op REG') :-) .  SASG is almost certainly STASG, STructure ASsiGnment.
It means someone goofed, either leaving an entry out of table.c, or
doing something in the code generator that gets order() stuck with
nowhere to go.

>	    arg[j++] = node[1];

This is somewhat curious, as delay() should have deferred the j++.
But who knows what lurks in the heart of an ancient PCC.

At any rate, there is no way to fix this sort of thing without compiler
sources, and I imagine those are hard to get (did not Fortune quit
making 32:16s?).  About all you can do is experiment with rephrasing
the line of code that triggers the compiler bug.