UNIX-like crypt function

Warren Toomey wtoomey at gara.une.oz
Mon Aug 21 14:06:31 AEST 1989

In article <3947 at phri.UUCP>, roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In  <17369 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
		[ asking for the source to crypt ]
> > What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?
> 	The ruskies will then be able to decode all of our secret military
> transmissions, bringing about the fall of democracy as we know it today and
> subjecting the entire planet to the dominance of the evil empire.

They've had it for years! I've got the source code in C form, written by
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, & taken from his book `Computer Networks'. It's
Unix crypt() compatible. It's used in his Minix Operating System, a
V7 Unix-clone for PCs. Would anybody get upset if I post it?
Is it legal? Is Andy's source copyright? Who has the answers?