Help with Makefile

Micky Liu micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 3 02:13:43 AEST 1989

I am trying to build a Makefile for sources that have to be built
for different architectures.  So let's say I have my sources at
the root and I want to place the objects in their subdirectories
under the root like:

/src

/src/vax

/src/sun3

/src/sun4

But I only want to keep one Makefile in the my /src directory.
I have already made a method to determine the architecture and
then it invokes itself with the proper flags.  The problem is
that I cannot seem to get the implicit rules to work anymore.

Let's say I'm on the vax, and I type make.  It figures out that
I'm on the vax and then IT does something like:

make CCFLAGS=-DVAX

but when it actually gets to a target it says that it doesn't know
how to make vax/hello.o, or omething like that.  I ended up making
explicit rules for each source file, but would really like to be
able to use the implicit rules...

Any clues, or other methods of maintaining a single source tree for
different architectures?

Thanx!

Micky Liu

  arpa: micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu