Strangeness in shell

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Aug 4 12:16:51 AEST 1989

In article <9729 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>We could hardly believe our eyes when we discovered that this local command
>line editing went away in the new and "improved" AT&T 630 MTG terminal. (sigh)

Well you shouldn't believe your eyes!  The 630 firmware, unlike the 5620
which was comparatively "plain", supports mouse-driven cut, paste, and
send.  I use it continually.  It's not quite like Rob's "mux" interface,
alas, but the capability's there.

Maybe you got one of the pre-release versions of the firmware.

5620 users who are using the commercial version of "layers"
can obtain "mux"-like editing features, scrolling, etc. by
obtaining Dave Prosser's "myx" terminal emulator (part of the
AT&T UNIX System ToolChest "dmd-pgmg" package).  That's a big
hit with our 5620 users, even though it means waiting for "myx"
to download after entering "layers" mode.

The 630 has these features all the time, even when used with
non-UNIX systems.  I can't think of any way in which the 630
is inferior to the 5620..