Neat csh feature

Jeff K Medcalf jkmedcal at uokmax.UUCP
Wed Aug 2 06:14:51 AEST 1989

In article <62079 at linus.UUCP> rtidd at mitre.arpa writes:
>If you set the environment variable filec (as in set filec), that
>allows csh to do file completion, kind of like emacs does. If you're
>typing in a file name, just type enough characters to make it unique
>then hit <ESC> and the shell will finish it for you. For example,
>--------------------------------------
>Randy Tidd                   MITRE-McLean CCEL Lab

This is both true and elegant.  However, cat v* will do the same thing.
(the example was a directory
a	b	c	d	very_long_file_name
on which cat v<ESC> is the same as cat very_long_file_name)

I don't think that there is much of a difference in time to execute, either.
The shell may expand with some wierdness under some circumstances, though.

fodder
fodder
fodder