Subnetting on a 3B2

Gregory Gulik gaggy at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Wed Aug 23 12:17:39 AEST 1989

In article <20669 at adm.BRL.MIL> RSPELLMAN at bat.bates.edu writes:

>Can anybody help me setup subnetting on a 3B2 running Wollongong's
>Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/3B software?  I haven't found anywhere to
>specify the number of bits I want to use for a subnet.  We have
>a class B ip number, and want to use eight extra bits for subnetting.
>
>Some of the hardware we are running is forcing us to subnet, so not
>subnetting is not a valid option.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rob Spellman
>RSpellman at Bat.Bates.edu
>Computing Center
>Bates College
>Lewiston, Maine

Sure, if you're running a fairly recent version, use the ifconfig
command with the bitmask option.

For example, to specify a 4 bit class A subnet address, do
something like this:

ifconfig en0 bitmask 0xFF8000

...or something like that, I don't have my manual handy.

Hope that gets you started.

-greg

--
Gregory Gulik	Phone:	(312) 825-2435
	E-Mail: ...!jolnet!gaggy || ...!chinet!gag