How does one specify 'second Tuesday' in a crontab?

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Aug 24 23:17:19 AEST 1989

In article <9805 at alice.UUCP>, debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
> In article <1794 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> >The implementation of cron is really stupid! They could have allowed
> >both day of week and day of month with two lines and then anded the day
> >of week/month fields to do what you want.
> >

> The implementation that takes the "or" of day of month and day of week
> is not just stupid, it is wrong.

  Well, if functioning just as the man page indicates it should is
wrong, then it is. However, I always figured that if it worked as
documented it was correct. Here's an exerpt from the man page:

	  Note that the	specification of days may be made by two
	  fields (day of the month and day of the week). If both are
	  specified as a list of elements, both	are adhered to.	 For
	  example, 0 0 1,15 * 1	would run a command on the first and
	  fifteenth of each month, as well as on every Monday.	To
	  specify days by only one field, the other field should be
	  set to * (for	example, 0 0 * * 1 would run a command only on
	  Mondays).
  It doesn't work the way I thought it did, or even the way I think is
*should*, but it works as documented.