UNIX-like crypt function

David Harrison harrison at utfyzx.uucp
Fri Aug 25 19:42:03 AEST 1989

In  <17369 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
> What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Crypt(1) has been in my (wrong) hands for a long time, and despite our
current Prime Minister's best efforts Canada is still not part of the U.S.
Everybody with licenced UNIX source which goes back before the restriction
was imposed has it; that includes a lot of people.

It is amusing to consider taking the source for crypt.c (all 134
lines of it) down to the Soviet Consulate and see what I could get
for it: maybe a bag of seed corn, or a fried egg, or ...
--
David Harrison                            | "God does not play dice with
Dept. of Physics, Univ of Toronto         |  the universe." -- Einstein