.plan

Jerry Peek jdpeek at RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU
Sun Aug 27 06:24:33 AEST 1989

In article <28110 at news.Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> In article <1810 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> fuat at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:
> >It's not really finger that needs to be fixed, but the terminal.
>
> I think it's Unix that needs to be fixed.

About the animation from the '.plan' files... When I worked at
one company and we converted to 4.3BSD, all the cute animation in the
'.plan' files stopped screwing up peoples' screens.  It turned out that
'finger' had been fixed to filter out non-text characters.  I think
they did the same thing to commands like 'write' and 'talk', too.

I don't know who fixed 'finger': Berzerkley or our company's hackers.
It was a great idea [though I missed the .plan file that flashed a lightning
bolt across the screen on Tek 41xx terminals... I got over it :-)].

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek at rodan.acs.syr.edu///JDPEEK at SUVM.BITNET///GEnie: J.PEEK1
  +1 315 443-3995