Strangeness in shell

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Aug 5 04:00:42 AEST 1989

>Special terminal ioctl's to turn echo on and off
>(you wouldn't want half-duplex while typing a password), etc.

No, you don't, but you don't want to have to rewrite programs that use
the boring old standard "ioctl"s, either; the driver should simply
recognize TIOCSETP, or TCSETA, or whatever your system has, setting or
clearing the ECHO flag.  (I don't count those as "special", since
they've been in UNIX since time immemorial, or at least since 1979/1980
or so; I interpret "special" there as meaning "something other than one
of the common UNIX 'ioctl's for that purpose.")