Strangeness in shell

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sat Aug 5 08:58:27 AEST 1989

In article <10665 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
}In article <9729 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
}>We could hardly believe our eyes when we discovered that this local command
}>line editing went away in the new and "improved" AT&T 630 MTG terminal. (sigh)
}
}Well you shouldn't believe your eyes!  The 630 firmware, unlike the 5620
}which was comparatively "plain", supports mouse-driven cut, paste, and
}send.  I use it continually.  It's not quite like Rob's "mux" interface,
}alas, but the capability's there.

I don't know the 5620 firmware, only Rob's "mux" interface.
On the 630 I cannot type a command, say "ls file", then click before the
"f", type "-l", click at the end of the line, press return and have
the shell execute "ls -l file". That's what I mean by local command line
editing, and that's not possible on the 630 because it operates in full
duplex.

}...
}The 630 has these features all the time, even when used with
}non-UNIX systems.  I can't think of any way in which the 630
}is inferior to the 5620..

I could, but comp.unix.questions is not the forum for this discussion.

Paul.