Strangeness in shell

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Aug 1 23:45:05 AEST 1989

In article <10639 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> -In article <5275 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> -> The right place for ksh -type command line editing is in the terminal
> -> driver or xterm!

> Some of us think the right place is in the terminal!

That's the moral equivalent of the terminal driver. My Amiga gives me this
sort of capability, via cut and paste with the mouse, as do other people's
Macs and Atari STs if they have any sort of decent terminal program (when
I had an ST, I didn't, but that was a long time ago and I don't hold that
agin it).

The one problem with this approach is that you really should only maintain
a command line history when you're in canonical mode (ICANON, or COOKED).
You don't want your vi or emacs commands messing up your buffer. I guess
you could modify the termcap for your terminal to turn buffering off and
on when you enter or leave a screen-oriented program... (goes off muttering
about VS and VE...)
Business: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"