Odd vi response when input redirected

Ray Swartz ray at saturn.ucsc.edu
Tue Aug 8 22:45:01 AEST 1989

In article <8649 at saturn.ucsc.edu> I wrote:
>On System V machines, the command
>
>	cat | vi
>
>works fine.  The problem is that now the shell escape doesn't
>work properly.  When I enter :!cmd, the command appears to be run, but the
>output doesn't go the the terminal.

I discovered the problem to be a recently implemented Korn shell.  For
some reason, when the pipeline is started in the Korn shell (or the SHELL
variable is set to /bin/ksh), the :!cmd doesn't work.  It works find
if you don't use the pipeline.

BTW, don't assume that you can go from Bourne shell to the Korn shell
without any problems.  Bourne shell scripts will stop working properly
and the reference books are none too good.  This one ate 4 hours.

Ray Swartz
ray at saturn.ucsc.edu
{sun,uunet}!uworld!ans2unix