SunOS 4.0.3 SCSI tape close error: EPERM

Fred Fish fnf at estinc.UUCP
Fri Aug 4 05:20:38 AEST 1989

In article <419 at sunny.ucdavis.edu> poage at sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) writes:
>Has anyone running SunOS 4.0.3 observed that closing a 1/4"
>SCSI tape after read/write returns EPERM?  This happens on
>a 3/150 with /dev/rst[08].  It may have happened under
>4.0.1 too, but I don't specifically remember.

Yes, I noticed and reported this bug last November, when I first tried
some code on a Sun-4 under 4.0.1 that bothered to check the status of
the close() call.  Looks like it's still there...

On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that the system does
not prevent you from overwriting an executable that is currently
executing?  For example, make a copy of tar in /tmp/tar, create a
tar archive in /tmp/tar.out that contains tar, and then try to
extract tar over itself.  You usually get a core dump.  On any other
UNIX I've tried, you get an errno for "text busy".

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf