Can you recover deleted files in Unix ?!?

John Kellow kellow at ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu
Tue Aug 22 02:01:15 AEST 1989

I need some help.  Maybe this questions has been covered but I can't
remember seeing anything about it before.  Is there any way to recover
deleted files in System V.2 Unix?  I typed rm * when I thought I was
in the /tmp directory but guess where I was - that's right, my home
directory.  Unfortunately there were some important changes that
haven't been backed up.  I was the only person using the computer at
the time, and I immediately unmounted the file system.  My manual
entry for rm says something to the the effect that if a directory
entry was the last link count for a file then the file is destroyed -
does this mean data and everything?  Please tell me it isn't so.  I'll
be eagerly awaiting any replies.

John Kellow
kellow at ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu