Neat csh feature

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Fri Aug 4 04:05:42 AEST 1989

>The trick is real neat but only on BSD systems. SYS V doesn't have file name
>completion no matter you set filec or not. It's kind of consistensy because
>SYS V doesn't allow very_long_file_name, maximam length of file name is 14
>charecters.

Except that the reason has nothing to do with the length of file names;
it has to do with the version of the C shell that comes with *some*
System V systems.  Others don't come with any version of the C shell at
all, and still others might conceivably come with a version that
supports "filec".  (Besides, at some times some people might think 14
characters is, relatively speaking, long, so even users of systems
without the BSD file system might want "filec".)

It first appeared in the standard BSD C shell in 4.3BSD.  I presume it
was derived from, or at least influenced by, a similar or identical
function in "tcsh" or some other "non-standard" C shell.