Should 'sync' stop terminal/system activity ?

Erwin Eder ee at atbull.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 10:26:22 AEST 1989

_The configuration:
	60830,UNIX V.3,16MB

_The Situation:
	2MB for BUFFERS
		'sync' stops all terminal/system activity for
		some seconds ( until buffers are written to
		disk ? )

	1MB for BUFFERS
		no troubles with sync

	( of course 2MB BUFFERS is preferable, but users
	complain about terminals freezing for no obvious
	reason )

_The question:
	Is it normal/ok for sync to freeze terminal activity ?

I am posting this for a friend of mine who does not read netnews,
so please respond by e-mail. I will post a summary if there is
enough interest.

Erwin Eder
--
|  /      \  <-- this is |  and this    uunet!mcvax!tuvie!atbull!ee   |