Subnetting on a 3B2

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Wed Aug 23 19:07:51 AEST 1989

In article <20669 at adm.BRL.MIL> RSPELLMAN at bat.bates.edu writes:

>Can anybody help me setup subnetting on a 3B2 running Wollongong's
>Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/3B software?  I haven't found anywhere to
>specify the number of bits I want to use for a subnet.  We have
>a class B ip number, and want to use eight extra bits for subnetting.

Unless there is something peculiar about Wollongong, and I doubt it, one
sets up a subnet using the ifconfig command, it should be of the form:

	ifconfig interface IP-address netmask 0xffffff00

The netmask is what determines the class of the subnet, also remember that
all the hosts you want on your subnet better be set up similarly.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu