How to make nroff boldface on a terminal that can highlight?

Gerald Justice justice at dao.nrc.ca
Thu Aug 3 07:36:21 AEST 1989

I am writing some local man pages and was wondering if it was possible
to have nroff pass information about boldfaced text to a user's terminal
to have it appear as highlighted text.  Currently nroff'ed man pages
do show italicized items as underlined, but since most terminals
support other highlighting (inverse video, high intensity, or blinking)
it would be nice if boldface could appear as one of these.  More does put
its '--more--' prompt in inverse video on my terminal so it seems that
more could/should be able to do this.

Questions:
Is the reason this doesn't already work lie in nroff, in /etc/termcap, in
/usr/lib/term/tab*, or in more?  Is this problem solvable?  Is it solvable
without source for nroff or more?
Are there other paging programs that do more highlighting than more?
(I have heard of a program called less but never seen it.)

Thank you, in advance.
Phone:     (604) 388-0055       | Fax:    (604) 388-0045
Internet:  justice at dao.nrc.ca   | Telex:  049-7295
      or:  justice at 134.87.150.7	| Mail:   Dominion Astrophysical Observatory
BITNET:    justice at nrcdao       |         5071 W. Saanich Road
VAX PSI:   68100434::justice    |         Victoria, B.C.
SPAN,UUCP: (not yet available)  |         CANADA  V8X 4M6