Shared Mem, Msg queues, Semaphores Code fragments wanted

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Thu Aug 3 03:45:21 AEST 1989

In article <2313 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>(This is generic UNIX stuff - generic, at least, to systems that have
>picked up S5 IPC - so we move it here to "comp.unix.questions"....)
>
> >The "AT&T UNIX System V/386 Programmer's Guide" has a whole chapter on
> >IPCs.  This includes full listings of test programs that exercise all
> >aspects of the IPC system calls.  I haven't tried them, but they look
> >pretty good.  I think you'll find them a great help.
> >
> >Of course, XENIX is not UNIX...

Xenix is darn close to Unix when it comes to this stuff.

We have code which works without change on both SCO Xenix V/386 2.3 and the
AT&T-derived SVR3.2....

No problems noted so far..... our use includes semaphores as well as
(sometimes large) shared memory segments.... all is well...

In fact, one of these is a multiuser game which has been posted to
alt.sources before (cosmos); the entire game grid is a sharable segment!
The only Xenix-specific code in there is a "nap" (short sleep); I understand
that current Unix releases (3.2) have the same functionality available too,
so it ought to work there as well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]