"111 fewer lines in file after visual" ????

Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Wed Aug 2 02:15:44 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul31.033232.23443 at ntvax.uucp> canoaf at ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) writes:
>What did I do?  What does "111 lines in file after visual" mean?
>
>While in vi, I hit some key sequence that generated the above message.
>Can anybody explain what it means and how to replicate it?
>
>Thanks
>
>Augustine Cano		canoaf at dept.csci.unt.edu

vi allows you to change from visual to line mode and back.  When you
do this it reports on changes made in the mode you are leaving.  You
can determine if you are in line mode by type a return at the colon
prompt.  In line mode the next line and a new prompt is displayed, in
visual the cursor just returns to the screen location.  Entering
line mode is done by typing a Q, return to visual by entering the word
vi at the line mode colon prompt.

Certain types of substitutions can only be done in line mode, specifically
those with embedded newlines:

	s/pattern/new pattern\
	more pattern\
	and so on/

Cheers!

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com