tabs in vi

Guangliang He ghe at nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Thu Aug 24 00:55:21 AEST 1989

In article <36790001 at hpindwa.HP.COM> sgordon at hpindwa.HP.COM (Shaun Gordon) writes:
=> Is there a way to make it so that when ever I hit the TAB key
=> in 'vi' that I get 4 spaces rather than an actual tab?  I would
=> rather not have to run expand after running vi, as I would only
=> want to do that if I actually changed the file.
=
=While inside vi you can type a colon to get to the command line and then enter:
=
=set tabstop=4
=
[deleted text]

No, 'set tabstop=4' does not do what he requested in the original post. He
wants REAL space. 'set tabstop=4' makes tabs look like 4 spaces but if you
do a 'set list', you can see tab still there. On this question, I don't see
any easy solution.

USMAIL:   Guangliang He            |  INTERNET: ghe at PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics    |  BITNET:   hegl at ORSTVM.BITNET
          Oregon State University  |
          Corvallis, OR 97331      |  PHONE:    (503) 737-4631