Changing Directory

Glen Ecklund glen at astroatc.UUCP
Fri Aug 4 00:56:35 AEST 1989

In article <5068 at mtuxo.att.com> jld at mtuxo.att.com (XMRJ4-J.DALTON) writes:
>QUESTION: I have a very long path which is quite tedious to type in
>          every time I wish to visit a certain directory.
>	  My question: Is there a way that I can put this path in a
>          file, then execute a shell that will place me in that directory?

The key is to use the '.' command (sh) or 'source' command (csh) to avoid
creating a new shell, and execute the cd in the current shell.

The way I do it is to have a list of aliases which are set up when I log in,
so I can hop around even more easily:

alias   cdns32	'cd ~/src/dbx/ns32; pwd'
alias   cdddt	'cd /usr1/NSC/src/cmd/ddt; pwd'
alias   cdst	'cd ~/src/st; pwd'
alias   cdpas	'cd ~gsf/comp/src/fe/src/pcfe/src; pwd'

Glen